Saturday, January 1, 2011
You'll Never Know by C. Tyler
I just finished reading book two of the graphic novel "You'll never know" by C. Tyler. Book two surpassed book one - the memoir of a woman trying to write about her father's experiences in World War Two is deep, complex, and heart-wrenching. Tyler writes about her Father, she writes about her own life, her struggles as a single parent and her struggles as a daughter of a rather grumpy old man. A lot of the memories seem sad and rather empty, but Tyler exhudes enthusiasm through all trials. I can't believe that all of her book is in COLOR, it must take her so many hours for each page. She goes back and forth through time, writing bits about the war that were important to her Father, and writing bits about her daughter, her mother, and connections between them all. I might not suggest this book to younger readers - not just because of the language - but because of the adult content - younger readers would probably not be too interested. The New York Times review described this story as "rambling reminiscence, except without the boring parts" and I completely agree.
Labels:
C. Tyler,
graphic novel,
memoir
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love Carol Tyler books too! It is almost unbelievable what this woman has had to endure in her life eh?
ReplyDeleteThe third book should be coming out on October 9th!
ReplyDelete