My first dive into the world of Wendell Berry, and I shall not be the same. I have the feeling that if you read one of his books, your foundation, whatsoever it is, is at great risk of being shaken. But this man, unlike so many writers, takes care to provide a good landing, if not a soft one.
Jayber Crow follows the life of an orphan away from his home and then back again as a barber to "Port William," a fictional place that is the setting for several other Wendell Berry books. He explores themes of rural life, meaning, God, love, character, relationships, change in depth and understanding and poetry like I have never read before.
So get yourself and Wendell Berry book and get going with it. Surely you have wasted time with drivel reading long enough.
Thanks to your excellent positive summary, I'm currently reading 2 of Wendell Berry's books, one a book of poetry, other, fiction. Should be good company as I continue to be ill. Thanks, so much. -
ReplyDelete