Cold Cereal by Adam Rex
If you read a description of this book you will just dismiss it as too unrealistic. Better just to dive in and find out why the makers of this line of breakfast cereal are slowly succeeding in their quest at world domination. This is a book aimed toward ages 9-11 I think, but I sure had a good time reading it, too. And just now as I was looking for the amazon link I discovered that it's just part one of a trilogy! Yipee!
Quintessence by David Walton
This book has everything required for a great sci-fi adventure. The story vaguely reminds me of "Salamander" by Thomas Wharton because of the alchemy and endless questions by very clever scientists. "Salamander," however, could not as easily be put on a shelf next to Tolkein, C.S. Lewis and Scott Card. It is an alternate history of the age of exploration where, when Europeans discover that the world is actually flat, they set out to discover the magical secrets that exist at the edge of the world. The best part of the book is the way that, through his characters, Walton helps us think about what kind of people we really want to be. My only complaint with this book is that it is so good I couldn't put it down, and therefore I read it too fast. The good news is, I will certainly buy my own copy and then I will be able to read it again and again. I would suggest a PG-13 rating just because it might be too complicated and somewhat violent for someone younger.



No comments:
Post a Comment