When I heard about a Little Prince graphic novel I immediately went out and bought a copy (yes, I know I shouldn't be spending student loan $ on hardcover books but what could I do?). I suppose the cover gave me an idea that the artwork within the graphic novel would not be the same as the Saint-Exupery original illustrations but I expected Saint-Exupery's style to be incorporated somehow. This was not the case.
Instead of attempting to re-create a completed piece of art (the original book), Sfar has taken the essence of the Little Prince and interpreted it in his own unique way. The story is there, but it's altered. I wasn't sure I liked it at first, then I recognized the beauty in reading another person's interpretation.
Sfar emphasizes different areas of the story, he makes reference to Saint-Exupery's death over the Mediterranean Sea and he successfully illustrates pain, isolation and love.
The drawings are excellent and often capture the emotions of the characters well. However, I was not always happy with how the Little Prince was drawn. At times he appears around 6 years old, at times 16. And what is with that scary picture on page eleven?
All that aside, I strongly suggest this new reading of an old classic.
By Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment